Thursday, October 17, 2013

Newly born

You gave her your breath
  the taste of a hurricane
A fragment of a gale

You gave her Your breath and she turned into a wail

You gave her Your breath
  and she was as pink as she had been pale
  her human heart beat time
Declaring "all is well

Her soul fresh from heaven
Her lungs filled by God
Her song - heavenly and human.

I lay back on my pillow ... awed.


I've been working on this poem since Charissa was born - almost 3 years ago.  Somehow I could never get it right.  There is something infinitely amazing about a soul starting an eternal journey, the first voluntary breath is a staggeringly important moment and it just flies by with all the other labor and delivery drama. My prayer for all my children is that they use their voices to sing God's praises.




Thus says God the Lord,

Who created the heavens and stretched them out,
Who spread forth the earth and that which comes from it,
Who gives breath to the people on it,
And spirit to those who walk on it:
“I, the Lord, have called You in righteousness,
And will hold Your hand;

No comments:

Popular Posts

Blog Archive